Easy hairstyles for long hair help make styling your lengthy locks a breeze. You’ll be able to find a new go-to for any occasion from this list of looks, whether you have straight hair, curly hair, or somewhere in between.
Find out how to elevate your usual pony with trendy upgrades and jazz up braids and buns with these tutorials. Plus, you may find some great humidity-proof hairstyles that can get you through busy days and nights out on the town.
Is Wearing Long Hair Classy?
Shorter lobs and crops may cycle back into fashion every so often, but long hair is never out of style. You should always wear your hair in a way that feels the most comfortable and natural for you – so if you love rocking longer locks, go for it.
Longer lengths allow for plenty of versatility when it comes to hairstyles. You can mix it up and try new looks, accessories, or even textures should you feel like it. But that being said, longer hair can be more prone to damage, and it requires a little more maintenance. Some tips:
- Don’t neglect your scalp. To keep long hair strong and glossy, keep your scalp clear of gunk and grease. Use a gentle shampoo, especially if you’re washing every day.
- Dry hair properly. Don’t rub your strands with a rough towel. Look into smoother fabrics (even an old shirt works), and handle wet hair gently.
- Keep hair tangle-free. Use a wide-toothed comb to work through knots. Meanwhile, a boar bristle brush is good for bringing out shine, as it helps distribute natural hair oils from the scalp down the lengths.
- Limit heat styling, especially if you have treated or colored hair. Too much exposure to heat can dry hair out.
- Switch up your styles. Wearing hair in tight ponytails all the time may lead to breakage. Give your hair a break every so often by letting it loose or trying different looks.1
How Do I Style Long Hair Every Day?
When it comes to styling long hair, do away with the notion that you need a complicated updo daily – save the more intricate looks for special events. There are a lot of cute hairstyles you can pull off every day with minimal effort and without the need for fancy tools. Most of these hairdos barely require anything more than a few minutes and a couple of hair elastics and a bobby pin or two.
Braids are a classic choice for long hair. They can look both elegant and youthful, timeless but trendy, depending on how you do it. Some styles to try:
Classic Fishtail Braid
This type of braid looks more polished and mature than your classic milkmaid braid look (though those are always in style, too). Try your hand at this alternative technique for an elegant everyday look.
- Separate your hair into two sections.
- Pull a half-inch section of hair from the outer edge of the left section over and across, joining it to the opposite side of hair.
- Repeat this on the right section, pulling over and across and joining it to the left section.
- Continue alternating until you reach the bottom of your fishtail. Secure with an elastic.2
Beautiful Flower Braid
This is one of the most adorable half-down hairstyles ever. The braided bun looks like a delicate flower, eliminating the need for any more hair accessories to make the look pop. However, try adding some loose waves to your lengths for added romance.
- Gather a half-inch section of hair from each temple and twist, joining and securing them into a half-ponytail at the back of your head.
- Braid down the length of the ponytail you created. At this point, you already have a cute rope braid ponytail that looks gorgeous on its own.
- Take your braid and twist it up into a bun, creating a blooming flower look. Secure with bobby pins and a spritz of hairspray for some hold.3
While the idea of shampooing less often is becoming more and more popular, it gives rise to a common styling dilemma: How do you style it between washes? These looks actually work better on second-day hair (or more).
Easy Bubble Ponytail
This retro-feel look is here to stay. Since hair needs a little hold to maintain the bubble shape, work some texturizing product through your strands for added oomph.
- Pull hair up into a high ponytail at the back of your head. Use two elastics for more staying power.
- If you haven’t added product yet, now’s the time to work some dry shampoo or mousse through the length of your ponytail. Tease the tail a bit for more volume.
- Take another hair tie and secure it a few inches below the first. Pull and stretch the section of hair between the two hair ties to create a “bubble.”
- Repeat down the length of your ponytail, creating as many bubbles as your hair allows. Leave an inch or two of hair at the bottom of the ponytail.
- Spritz on some hairspray to smooth out any baby hairs at your hairline or around the top of your head.4
Super Simple Beachy Waves
Yes, you can wear textured waves all year round. While the most foolproof way is to use a larger-barreled curling wand to create loose curls and waves, here’s another method for those who don’t want to use any heat. All you need is a length of soft fabric (like your bathrobe’s belt or a necktie) and a good night’s sleep.
- Part your hair down the middle, and divide it into two sections. Place the fabric rope across the top of your crown (like a headband).
- Working on one side first, take half-inch sections of hair and twist it around the fabric rope. Do this for all sections of hair on one side. Secure all the twisted hair with an elastic at the end, then loop the whole section into a bun at the side of your head.
- Do the same on the other side. You’ll end up with two low buns by your ears.
- Go to sleep, and when you wake up, simply unwind the buns and remove the fabric. Finish off your loose waves with some hairspray for hold and shine.5
Easy On-the-Go Hairstyles
While all the styles outlined above are simple enough to pull off any time, it’s always handy to have a quick hairstyle that still allows you to look put-together even if you only had a few frazzled minutes to get ready.
This chic hairstyle is easy to execute and even easier to glam up – stick fancy pearl or jewel pins into the base for an elegant look.
- Secure your hair into a neat low ponytail at your nape.
- Separate the hair into two sections, then twist the sections around each other. Secure with a hair tie.
- Twist the ponytail into a bun, then secure with bobby pins. Accessorize as needed.6
Cute Low Pigtails
Bring back your favorite childhood hairstyle with this (literal) elegant twist.
- Pull hair into two low pigtails.
- Take a section of hair from each tail and twist and wrap it around the elastic securing each pigtail. Secure with a bobby pin.
- Pull a few loose strands around your face or muss up the roots with texturizing spray for a more casual look.7
Love Your Long Hair Even More With New Hairstyles
Show off healthy and long locks with these pretty hairstyles that are sure to turn heads. While these styles are gorgeous as is, add your own unique flair by adding cute accessories. Fabric headbands, pearl pins or clips, and colorful barrettes are always in style. You’re never going to have a boring hair day with these easy hairstyles for long hair.